Upgrading the EKS version
Upgrade the Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS) version for AWS
AWS frequently updates the version of EKS based on new features that are available in the Kubernetes platform. DuploCloud automates this upgrade in the DuploCloud Portal.
IMPORTANT: An EKS version upgrade can cause downtime to your application depending on the number of replicas you have configured for your services. Schedule this upgrade outside of your business hours to minimize disruption.
The upgrade process:
- Updates the EKS Control Plane to the latest version
- Relaunches all Hosts to deploy the latest version on all nodes.
After the upgrade process completes successfully, you optionally assign allocation tags to Hosts.
To upgrade the EKS version, in the DuploCloud Portal:
- 1.Click Administrator -> Infrastructure.
- 2.Select the Infrastructure that you want to upgrade to the latest EKS version.
- 3.Select the EKS tab. If an Infrastructure upgrade is available, Upgrade appears in the Value column.
- 4.Click Upgrade.
EKS tab with Upgrade available
Monitor the upgrade by using the EKS Upgrade Details screen.
EKS Upgrade Details screen and the Status list
The EKS Upgrade Details screen displays the progress of updates for all versions and Hosts. Green checkmarks indicate successful completion in the Status list.
If any of your Hosts use allocation tags, you must assign allocation tags to the Hosts:
- 1.After your Hosts are online and available, navigate to DevOps -> Hosts.
- 2.Select the host group tab (EC2, ASG, etc.) on the Hosts screen.
- 3.Click the Add button.
- 4.Name the Host and provide other configuration details on the Add Host form.
- 5.Select Advanced Options.
- 6.Edit the Allocation Tag field.
- 7.Click Create and define your allocation tags.
- 8.Click Add to assign the allocation tags to the Host.
Allocation tags in the Add Host screen