Step 2: Create a Tenant
Creating a DuploCloud Tenant that segregates your workloads
Tenants in DuploCloud are similar to projects or workspaces and have a subordinate relationship to the Infrastructure. Think of the Infrastructure as a virtual "house" (cloud), with Tenants conceptually "residing" in the Infrastructure performing specific workloads that you define. As Infrastructure is an abstraction of a Virtual Private Cloud, Tenants abstract the segregation created by a Kubernetes Namespace, although Kubernetes Namespaces are only one component that Tenants can contain.
In AWS, cloud features such as IAM Roles, security groups, and KMS keys are exposed in Tenants, which reference these feature configurations.
Estimated time to complete Step 2: 10 minutes.
DuploCloud customers often create at least two Tenants for their production and non-production cloud environments (Infrastructures).
- Production Infrastructure
- Pre-production Tenant - for preparing or reviewing production code
- Production Tenant - for deploying tested code
- Non-production Infrastructure
- Development Tenant - for writing and reviewing code
- Quality Assurance Tenant - for automated testing
In larger organizations, some customers create Tenants based on application environments, such as creating one Tenant for Data Science applications and another Tenant for web applications, and so on.
Tenants are sometimes created to isolate a single customer workload, allowing more granular performance monitoring, scaling flexibility, or tighter security. This is referred to as a single-Tenant setup.
Before creating a Tenant, verify that you accomplished the tasks in the previous tutorial steps. Using the DuploCloud Portal, confirm that:
Create a Tenant for your Infrastructure and Plan:
- 1.In the DuploCloud Portal, navigate to Administrator -> Tenants.
- 2.Click Add. The Create a Tenant pane displays.
- 3.Enter dev01 in the Name field.
- 4.Select the Plan that you created in the previous step (NONPROD).
- 5.Click Create.
Create a Tenant pane
- 1.Navigate to Administrator -> Tenants and verify that the dev01 Tenant displays in the list.Tenant page with Tenant dev01 using Plan NONPROD
- 2.Navigate to Administrator -> Infrastructure and select dev01 from the Tenant list box at the top left in the DuploCloud Portal. The NONPROD Infrastructure appears in the list of Infrastructures, indicating that the dev01 Tenant is associated with Infrastructure NONPROD.Tenant list box with dev01 selected; NONPROD Infrastructure with Status Complete